Southern Yunnan (8 days / 7 nights)
Yunnanguide designed this amazing itinerary made for those of you looking for adventure and takes you off the beaten track. This tour will enable you to experience minority markets, breathtaking paddy fields and UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Day 1 : Yuanyang (alt : 1900m)
Departure from Kunming for Yuanyang (7-8 hours’ drive). A visit en route to a Mongol village, by midafternoon we cross over the Red River then we discover the fabulous terraced fields (UNESCO site) that have been sculpted on the side of mountains for over 1000 years by the Yi and Hani people. Beautiful sunsets at a stunning site overlooking rice paddies that stretch out as far as the eye can see.
Overnight accommodation in a friendly inn in a Hani village renowned for its terraced paddy fields
Day 2 : Yuanyang (alt : 1900m)
An early morning start to revel in the spectacle of the sea of clouds at sunrise over the paddy fields. Then a morning visit to the Hani village where we are staying. In the afternoon hiking along a cobbled road that zigzags in and out of the paddy fields and a visit to a pretty village.
Beautiful sunsets at a stunning site overlooking rice paddies that look like mirrors.
Overnight in the same inn
Day 3 : Yuanyang (alt : 1900m)
Departure in the early hours of the morning for a local market (Dai, Yi, Hani, Yao and Miao). After lunch, a visit to a Yi village and a sunset at a superb site where the rice paddies resemble mirrors that reflect the sky.
Overnight in the same inn.
Day 4 : Mengzi (alt : 1400m)
Morning departure for Mengzi (Approx. 5 hours’ drive.) In spite of the old districts being demolished, this old French colonial outpost (old buildings and station) surrounding a lake makes a pleasant and unusual stopover. A visit to a former French railway station that has been converted into a restaurant/museum. In the evening there’s a chance to enjoy the town’s famous speciality dish – the “Crossing the Bridge” Noodles.
Overnight accommodation in Mengzi 4*.
Day 5 : Jianshui (alt : 1450m)
A morning visit to a very attractive temple situated off the beaten tourist track. One and a half hours drive from Mengzi, the temple is a place of practice for Buddhists, Taoists and Confucianists. Fortunately the same day the town hosts an important market for the Yi and Miao minorities. In the afternoon we depart for Jianshui considered the most beautiful city in southern Yunnan. The town continues to exude a “Han” atmosphere which is a rarity in this province with its wealth of ethnic minorities.
Overnight accommodation in Jianshui in a charming hotel .
Day 6 : Jianshui (alt : 1450m)
A morning visit to the second largest Confucian Temple in China – second only to the one in Qufu (which was the master’s home province) and to the Zhu residence, built in the late nineteenth century by wealthy merchants. In the afternoon walk in the old town.
Overnight accommodation in the same hotel.
Day 7 :Shilin (alt : 1900m)
A morning visit to the village of Tuanshan, the seat of the Zhang Clan, a wealthy family that made its fortune in the salt trade. Amongst the maze of its backstreets you’ll discover old dwellings and courtyards dating from the late nineteenth century. On the way back a stopover at Double Dragon Bridge built in the eighteenth century. In the afternoon departure for Shilin (approx. 3 hours’ drive).
Overnight accommodation in Shilin.
Day 8 :Kunming (alt : 1900m)
The Stone Forest here is a UNESCO Heritage site and one of the most popular tourist sites in Yunnan, yet the beauty of its karst formations is exceptional. A multitude of footpaths in the surrounding countryside give you a chance to get away from the crowds and to admire the beautiful and surreal landscapes. Visit (if time permits) to the Black Stone Forest, less frequented than the Shilin site and a very pleasant detour. Departure for Kunming and Airport transfer.
Price per person
- Based on 2 people travelling together, 8 days from 12 500 RMB or 1 562 €*
- Based on 4 people travelling together, 8 days from 8 725 RMB or 1 090 €*
- Based on 6 people travelling together, 8 days from 6 850 RMB or 856 €*
This price includes
- Transportation by private vehicle with driver (gasoline and tolls included))
- Accommodation as indicated (7 nights)
- Lunch days 5 and 7
- The 3 evening meals in the paddy fields
- Having a guide who speaks fluent Chinese and English accompanying you
- All entrance fees to sites included in the program (The various rice fields panorama points, village of Tuanshan, Zhu residence, Confucius Temple, Stone Forest)
- Local travel insurance. Please note this does not replace Repatriation Insurance *
- The good company and cheeriness of our team !
This price does not include
- International and domestic flights to Kunming and from Lijiang
- * Repatriation Insurance, which you must purchase before your departure. Documentation or other evidence (such as the credit card purchase of flight) will be requested
- Personal expenses
- Tips for the guide and driver
- Your meals and drinks
At a glance
- Duration : 8 days / 7 nights
- Cities visited : Yuanyang, Jianshui, Mengzi, Shilin
- Option : Kunming, north Yunnan
- Price from : 856 €
Recommandé par le Guide du Routard !
Because we are recommended by world tourism experts!